Friday, January 09, 2009

My post for Thursday. 1-08-09

I Survived

C.O.S.I.
On
Wheels



I drove the girls to school since I had to be there at 8:45 a.m. to learn about all the fun things we would be doing and over seeing. They started with an assembly for the entire school then starting at ten a.m. we had groups of two to three classes come in to visit the ten different stations. It was very relaxed the kids were allowed to just go check out whatever interested them and they were great about taking turns and listening to instructions.
During the morning session I over saw the the station where the kids used their own energy to turn a crank for a generator that would light either an incandescent bulb or a cfl bulb. It was fun when they would figure out that the cfl took some cranking to get lit up but then took less energy to stay lit up, plus it was a brighter light. I think some of the other parents and teachers learned a thing or two also. We have put the cfl's in our kitchen and family rooms since those lights get used the most.
In the information book that C.O.S.I. provided it said that incandescent lights use only 10% of the energy to create light the rest is turned into heat. Not the most effecent way to heat your home or light it for that matter!

Since I was volunteerring all day...I made Megan wear her "My Mom Rocks" shirt that her Aunt Shann got her.
Below Megan is using her energy to power the cfl bulb while the lady from C.O.S.I. watches.


I thought Paige may be too old to have her picture taken with mom at school so I snapped one of her and her friends, Lauren and Cara.
Below Paige is playing the "pollution scrubber" game. The kids have to grab the pollution (the black balls with the skull and crossbones) as the board gets tilted back and forth. It was a lot more difficult than it looks. This was the station I was at after the lunch break.

No comments: